The San Francisco Bay Area ClickHouse Meetup has been very active in 2022. We’ve already held meetups in February and May. Almost 1000 people either attended the events or viewed the recordings afterwards.
Did you miss one of the meetings? This article is for you. We’ll provide the low-down on recent talks including video and slide deck links. Plus we’ll talk about upcoming community events as well. Enjoy!
16 February 2022 Meetup
The February meetup featured 3 presentations, shown below with links to video and slides. You can see the entire session on Youtube.
- Materialize: a platform for changing data–using SQL for scalable streaming infrastructure. Slides here. Presented by Frank McSherry, Chief Scientist from Materialize. Materialize uses SQL to define views on event streams, an interesting take on a problem that ClickHouse also solves.
- FastNetMon and Metrics. Slides here. Presented by Pavel Odintsov, CTO and founder of FastNetMon LTD. The talk shows how FastNetMon uses ClickHouse for DDoS prevention.
- ClickHouse 2022 Roadmap. Slides here. Presented by Alexey Milovidov, lead ClickHouse committer and CTO of ClickHouse, Inc. Alexey’s talk covered important features on the 2022 roadmap. It’s already May so many of them are already implemented.
We really like to highlight ClickHouse, database technology, and innovative applications in each meetup. This one hit all three.
4 May 2022 Meetup
The May meetup continued with a mix of ClickHouse, database technology, and streaming infrastructure. The full meetup session is likewise available on Youtube.
- ClickHouse -If Combinators for Fun and Profit. Slides here. Presented by Robert Hodges of Altinity. -If combinators on aggregate functions are a ClickHouse extension to vary aggregation in creative ways in a single table scan. Every ClickHouse user should know abot them.
- Hydrolix <> ClickHouse–Implementing Custom Storages for Querying the Cloud. Slides here. Presented by Federico Rodriguez of Hydrolix. A great summary of how to add a new storage type to ClickHouse with discussion of Hydrolix, a proprietary fork of ClickHouse.
- Fast streaming into Clickhouse with Apache Pulsar. Slides here. Presented by Tim Spann of Streamio. Tim introduced Apache Pulsar event streams and showed how they integrate with ClickHouse.
Thanks to all presenters in both February and May.
Upcoming community events
Community events are continuing over the summer. Here are three you should watch for.
- 8 June 2022 – ClickHouse Netherlands User Group. In person meeting with the ClickHouse team including many core committers. It’s a little far afield but interesting because of the participants.
- 13 July 2022 – Next SF Bay Area ClickHouse Meetup. Watch for announcements.
- Planned for July – Data on Kubernetes in person meetup in the Bay Area! We’ll be focused on running databases in Kubernetes, including of course ClickHouse.
When are we going to have a live SF Bay Area ClickHouse Meetup? Soon! If you would like to volunteer your venue contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also looking for July talks and want to hear from all of you. Send proposals to the same email or message me through meetup.